in the age of virtuality we strongly believe in materiality
the materiality of things that brings alive the poetry of the world; the materiality of collecting data, investigating, testing and communicating ideas; the materiality of equipment and machinery that allows us to conceive-fabricate-assemble artifacts and to take care of our environment; the materiality as a physic-based behavior of the construction elements, and of the ecosphere where human bodies experience passions, pains, needs, dreams and death.
A UNIVERSITY SPIN OFF ON MULTIMEDIA ARCHITECTURE INTERACTION
MAILAB is a site of knowledge exchange and professional cooperation between The University of Florence and the private sector with a specific focus on the cross-hybridization of sustainable environment, architecture, design and socio-cultural events with new media and digital technologies. Combining scientific knowledge, technical expertise and extensive experience, Mailab provides opportunities for experimental research, innovative projects and advanced business services. Its mission includes support for undergraduate and post-graduate education, professional training, and creative conditions for the development of researches and new solutions of potential interest to the market.
MAILAB operates in the fields of multimedia, interaction and digital computation for architecture, design, marketing, entertainment, information, culture, art and environment in general.
Specific areas of research, training and application are represented by:
- eco healthy built environment design
- performance based computational building simulation
- building information management
- generative and parametric design
- robotic conceptual prototyping
- brandscaping and experiential design
- augmented reality and responsive info systems
- media building
- security and safety and other building automation systems
- exhibition, scenography and installation
- multimedia production
- total media environment
The activities of Mailab involve state of the art, experimental design and research, training in the use of new technologies which are carried out in the development of magisterial thesis, doctoral course programs, professional training, development of products and innovative systems and services for the market.
MAILAB is articulated into three centers of interest that operate in an integrated manner:
- Study and Training Centre aimed to offer support for university eduction and vocational activities through studies, researches, design, mentoring and advisory services;
- Research and Projects Centre aimed to offer services for consulting, prototyping, implementation and management of advanced products and application systems;
- Documentation Centre aimed to be a center of reference on the state of the art, ongoing researches and networking.
Scientific Director: Prof. Arch. Giuseppe Ridolfi, PhD
Dr. Ing. Lorenzo Giorgi (senior researcher)
Dr Arch. Giorgio Pagnini – CEO of Idee Digitali s.r.l. (main partner)
Dr. Arch. Fernando Recalde, PhD – CEO of Italian Innovation Green Design (main partner)
Prof. Arch. Giuseppe Ridolfi, PhD (director)
Dott. Arch. Arman Saberi, PhD (senior researcher)